Biomass fuel pellet power generation – Responding to the energy crisis
The current global energy crisis is spreading, which is mainly manifested in the power shortage in major industrial countries, the global price of coal and natural gas soaring, and industrial production is severely restricted.
Affected by the contradiction between the supply and demand of coal and electricity, as well as the inability to connect wind power and photovoltaic power to the grid on a large scale, China’s power supply continues to be tight.
China’s power shortage problem is actually a microcosm of the global energy crisis. How to overcome this crisis and stabilize the domestic production order, the author believes that it is necessary to vigorously develop biomass fuel pellet power generation.
Why should we vigorously promote biomass fuel pellets?
Rich agricultural and forestry biomass resources
The total resources of crop straw and agricultural product processing residues, forestry residues and forest wood processing residues that can be used as energy sources in China are about 460 million tons of standard coal per year, which is enough to support more than three thousand 130T biomass boilers + 3W units standard biomass fuel pellet power plant.
At present, China has built more than 300 biomass fuel pellet plants with an installed capacity of over 14 million kilowatts, but the annual utilization is only about 35 million tons of standard coal, and the utilization rate is only 7.6%. There is still a large amount of untreated agricultural and forestry wastes. Processing, the future development space of biomass fuel pellet power generation is huge.
Fuel is not affected by the international market
The prices of the three major fossil energy sources on the international market today: oil, natural gas, and coal are controlled by countries represented by the United Kingdom and the United States. Basically, when we buy in large quantities, the market price continues to rise. The rise in coal and natural gas prices in the international market this time has greatly restricted the production capacity of China’s power plants.
But agricultural and forestry biomass fuels are different. Not only are they renewable every year, but growing on their own soil will not be affected by the international market at all. At present, the price of China’s agricultural and forestry biomass fuel pellet is stable, and most biomass fuel pellet power plants are able to feed themselves and continue to operate at full capacity.
Can seamlessly replace coal-fired power plants
China’s industrial production not only requires a large amount of electricity, but also a large amount of stable heat load, which cannot be met by wind power and photovoltaics. After the reduction of coal power capacity, both coal-to-electricity and coal-to-gas conversions failed. Only biomass fuel pellet power generation can seamlessly replace coal-fired power plants and become the most economical power station for industrial parks and enterprises.
Compared with large-capacity coal-fired power plants, biomass fuel pellet power generation can be called green small thermal power. It can not only output stable and safe power, but also provide heat loads with different pressures for enterprise production. Moreover, biomass power generation is zero-carbon green power, which can completely fill the energy gap left by coal power reduction.
Biomass power generation runs at full load
A large part of the reason for the current power cut is insufficient coal power production capacity and the impact of wind power and photovoltaic volatility on the power grid, causing the power grid to fall below the safety red line. Biomass power generation will not be affected by environmental protection and unstable factors at all, and can achieve full-load operation, and the electricity will be fully connected to the grid for consumption.
Biomass fuel pellet power generation is stable and environmentally friendly, and it is also the only industry that can process agricultural and forestry wastes on a large scale. A biomass power plant can increase the income of local farmers by tens of millions, which is very beneficial to farmers. Therefore, in response to the energy crisis and achieving carbon peak and carbon neutrality, we must vigorously develop biomass fuel pellet power generation.
In addition to solving the current universal power problems and environmental protection, biomass fuel pellets have the following advantages that are worthy of being promoted by the whole society.
- Biomass fuel pellet has a large calorific value, the calorific value is about 3900-4800 kcal/kg, and the calorific value after carbonization is as high as 7000-8000 kcal/kg.
- Biomass fuel pellet has high purity and does not contain other sundries that do not produce heat. Its carbon content is 75-85%, ash content is 3-6%, water content is 1-3%, and it is absolutely free of coal gangue, stones, etc. Impurities that do not generate heat but consume heat will directly reduce costs for enterprises.
- Biomass fuel pellet does not contain sulfur and phosphorus, does not corrode the boiler, and can extend the service life of the boiler, and enterprises will benefit a lot.
- Since biomass fuel pellet does not contain sulfur and phosphorus, it does not produce sulfur dioxide and phosphorus pentoxide during combustion, so it does not cause acid rain, does not pollute the atmosphere, and does not pollute the environment.
- Biomass fuel pellet is clean and hygienic, convenient to feed, reduces the labor intensity of workers, greatly improves the labor environment, and enterprises will reduce the cost of labor.
- After the biomass fuel pellet is burned, there is very little ash, which greatly reduces the pile of coal slag and reduces the cost of slag.
- The ashes from the combustion of biomass fuel pellets are high-quality organic potash fertilizers that can be recycled for profit.
- Because the shape is granular, the volume is compressed, the storage space is saved, and the transportation is convenient, and the transportation cost is reduced.
- High combustion efficiency, easy to burn out, and little residual carbon. Compared with coal, it has high volatile content and low ignition point, easy to ignite; the density is increased, the energy density is large, and the combustion duration is greatly increased. It can be directly applied to coal-fired boilers.
- When biomass fuel pellets burn, the content of harmful gas components is extremely low, and the harmful gas emitted is less, which has environmental protection benefits. In addition, the burned ash can also be used directly as potash fertilizer, which saves money.
How to produce biomass fuel pellets?
We use advanced production technology to produce biomass fuel pellets. The process flow is shown in the figure, including raw material drying, pressing, cooling, packaging, etc. This process requires a lot of energy consumption, and there are three points that need to be paid attention to.
First of all, during the pellet compression molding process, the pressure reaches 50-100MPa, the raw material deforms and heats up under high pressure, and the temperature can reach 100℃-120℃. The drive of the motor needs to consume a lot of electric energy;
Second, the humidity of the raw materials is required to be about 12%. If the humidity is too high or too low, the pellets cannot be formed well. In order to achieve this humidity, many raw materials must be dried before they can be used for pelleting;
Third, the compressed hot particles (the temperature of the particles can reach 95℃-110℃) can only be packaged after cooling. The energy consumed by the latter two processes accounts for 25%-35% in the whole process of granulation.
If you are interested in the production of biomass fuel pellets and want to build a biomass fuel pellet plant, then please contact us and we will show you a complete biomass fuel pellet production line, from design, production, to transportation and installation.